Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cruelty TV

This is not about books. It isn't about reading. This is about flipping through channels and seeing something horrifying on TV.
For about a minute I watched American Inventor, a show I've never heard of and I hope you haven't either. I watched a gorgeous, chubby little girl show off a nice picture she'd painted, and I saw I don't know, say five adults tell her she wasn't good enough. I saw this brave little creature fight back tears and then lose that battle, I saw her crushed little face, her shiny happy expression turn to sorrow that surely cannot be erased.
Who came up with this idea? When did utter cruelty to children become entertaining? Why do I read and hear about how violence on TV is bad for kids and walking to school alone is bad for kids and the internet is bad for kids when some beautiful little girl's parents allowed her to be exposed like this and grown ups who should know better sit in judgement of her ideas and her creativity and her very self?
This must be stopped. Is anyone else appalled by this?
I can hardly believe I saw it.
If she were to report that her parents judged her homework so harshly, that someone in her family did said these things her apropos of a pleasant conversation about something she'd created there would be Children's Aid and police and therapy and anguish aplenty.
Please, please please make it stop. This show must be stopped.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Appalled? Not even for a second, I am sad to say.

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
-- Philip Larkin

Anonymous said...

Never heard of it and will now go out of my way to avoid it.

Anonymous said...

Entertaining